What Can I do?
Call your representatives
- Use information available on March For Moms website to familiarize yourself with statistics.
- Review the links below (in Helpful Resources) to familiarize yourself with your state’s data on maternal health outcomes, if the state has a Maternal Mortality Review Committee and perinatal quality collaborative, and if the state has expanded Medicaid coverage to all moms.
- Find your State Representatives here.
- Find your Congressperson here.
- Contact their office via email or phone to schedule an appointment with the Representative or Senator. If they are unavailable, ask to speak with the legislative aid for health.
- Bring attention to the issue of maternal mortality during your visit, legislators must know this is a big issue. Urge the legislator and their staff to familiarize themselves with S. 1343/H.R. 2602 Maximizing Outcomes for Moms Through Medicaid Improvement and Enhancement of Services Act, or the “MOMMIES Act”, H.R.1551 The Quality Care for Moms & Babies Act, and H.R.1897/S.916 “MOMMA’s Act” to improve Federal efforts with respect to the prevention of maternal mortality, and for other purposes!
- Share a personal story! Whether you are a mom/family that struggled with pregnancy or postpartum period or someone who is passionate about the issue, it does not matter! Legislators and their aides love to get to know YOU! They are elected to serve your community.
- State Maternal Mortality Review Committees
- State Birth Outcome Data
- State Quality Improvement Efforts
- State Medicaid Reform Efforts
- State Maternal Mental Health Reforms
- Hospital-level Maternity Care Quality Scores
OTHER USEFUL RESOURCES
- Contact information for your US Senators is available here: http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm
- Contact information for your US House Representative is available here: http://www.house.gov/representatives/
- If you are unsure of your Congressional district, you can search for it here: https://www.govtrack.us/congress/members/map
- Another good source for contact information is: http://bebusinessed.com/congress-fax-numbers/
MARCH WITH US
Join the March for Moms at the DC Mall for fun and family-friendly experiences as we peacefully demonstrate the critical need to address the maternal health of families in our country.
Use the information available on March For Moms website to familiarize yourself with statistics, and then share information with your social networks.
Advocate with Providers
We work with local healthcare providers to ensure mothers get the care they deserve.